Old monk aur Coke!


I sat in solitude, with my rum and thought, how old monk is a way of romance and yet acts as an antiseptic for broken hearts. Its ability to make a person vulnerable is commendable. And how beautifully it turns our sorrows into poetry. It is a perfect companion for all kinds of moods. 

The ajeeb dastan between Old monk and coke can be only understood by its lovers. They know that this isn’t just a drink, it is an emotion. What makes this drink even better? Our friends. They are the ones with whom we laugh till our stomach hurts, rant, cry, and sometimes just simply sit in silence and enjoy each other’s company. This drink acts as fevicol, between you and your friends. The memories created by this one drink is something, I wouldn’t trade for a million dollars. Despite the hangover, we will always choose the old monk to confide ourselves. 

 I’ve seen my grandmother drink rum as a cure for her cold. As a kid, I couldn’t understand, how did this thing work? Now, I sure do understand it. Old Monk and coke is an old school drink that is easily available and cost-effective. Old monk can be used as a marinade for meat, used to bake cakes, make chocolates, and so much more.

 I feel birthdays or any special occasion is incomplete without rum cake. As I, celebrated my 20th birthday a few days back, I made myself a chocolate rum cake infused with coke. My birthdays are incomplete without a chocolate rum cake. Chocolate rum cake is to die for! It is so moist, soft, decadent, and has a kick to it. The main motive behind baking this cake was the immense feeling of nostalgia, as I missed my friends. Taking down my inspiration from this very own classic drink! 

 It was my first attempt at this cake. I watched tons of YouTube videos, read as many as recipe blogs possible for this cake. The process of making this cake was one hell of a ride. I’m going to be honest over here, I almost had a baking fail! My cake was falling apart but I somehow managed to pull it off. It didn’t turn out the way I was expecting it, but I’m still happy that it wasn’t a complete disaster. 

This how my birthday cake looked like!

 The recipe below is a new and improved version of what I made earlier.

 Dark chocolate rum cake.


Ingredients:

 For the cake batter.


  • 1 cup Plain flour.
  • ½ cup Cocoa powder.
  • ½ cup Powdered sugar.
  • ½ tbsp Baking powder.
  • 1 tsp Pinch of salt.
  • 2 tsp Instant coffee powder mixed with ¼ cup of hot water.
  • ½ cup Butter.
  • 2 Eggs.
  • ½ cup Coke.
  • 1 tsp Vanilla essence.
  • 1/3 cup Old monk. (you can use any other rum of your choice).

 For icing.


  • 200 grams chopped Dark chocolate.
  • 100 ml, Heavy cream.
  • 3 to 4 tbsp Old monk.

 Procedure: 

 For the chocolate cake.

 

  • Prepare your baking tin lined with parchment paper and grease it with butter.
  • Sieve all your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt into a clean bowl.
  • Take a large bowl and cream your butter and sugar together until pale in color. 
  • Add vanilla essence and mix it.
  • Add your eggs. One at a time. Whisk it in nicely for 3 to 4 minutes. At this stage, you are incorporating air into your cake batter.
  • Fold in your dry ingredients little at a time and alternative with coke and rum. Keep repeating this until you have used all your dry ingredients and liquid. (you can replace coke with ½ cup of hot water)
  • Don’t not over mix the batter. Use a spatula while folding in your dry ingredients. 
  • Bake it for 35 to 40 mins at 180 degrees Celsius. The timing may vary as every oven is different.

 For the chocolate ganache.

 There are, various methods to make chocolate ganache but I like doing it over a double boiler.


  • Take some water into a saucepan and place it on the stove and let the water come to a simmer.
  • Place another bowl over it. make sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl above.
  • Add your chopped chocolate and let it sit. It will soon start melting.
  • Once the chocolate is completely melted, add your cream to it and mix well until smooth.
  • Remove it off the heat. Let it cool down.
  • Add in your rum and mix it well.

 

I covered the entire cake with chocolate ganache and decorated it with some sprinkles and shaved chocolate. You can decorate your cake as you like it, there are no limitations to it!

 I hope you liked this blog. If you ever try this recipe out do let me know in the comments section below. Until then stay safe and take care of loved ones!


 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Diwali Delicacies

My journey of becoming a Foodie!

MY GUILTEA- PLEASURE